Regional Data Security Conference
The Regional Data Security Conference: Your Data Your Rights: What Individuals and Companies Should Know was organized by AMCHAM Jamaica in association with one of its member companies, e-Biz ProTrain as a major public education initiative. The conference brought to the fore, the issue of data security across the region, while providing key insights on what individuals and companies should know to protect themselves and their investments. The conference also addressed the current policies and legislation on Data Security.
Pivotal events in the digital domain have brought data security, whether it be personal, business or corporate data, into the spotlight. Two developments of great importance are:
- Activation of the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) in May 2018, which is a regulation in European Union (EU) law on data protection and privacy for all individuals which is not confined to the EU, but to any business and organization that has the records of EU citizens.
- Tightening of privacy controls by big tech companies to address privacy concerns surrounding users’ data.
The conference organizers have brought together a rich mix of speakers from intersecting spheres – Big Tech, IT, Legal, Financial, Policy, Business – to help businesses and organizations better understand environmental realities and challenges, such as:
- • Principles for data security in a globalized world
- • Impact of GDPR
- • Threats such as ransomware
- • Consequences of weak data and privacy management systems
- • Importance of citizen and consumer education, with the special focus being on children and tweens as particularly vulnerable groups
The conference features speakers with international expertise catering to regional issues, as demonstrated by the rich mix of experts from different fields. Bio data on the speakers is available under the “Speakers”.
Edward R. McNicholas
Edward R. McNicholas is a co-leader of Sidley Austin’s Privacy and Cybersecurity practice, and represents technologically-sophisticated clients facing complex cybersecurity, information technology, and privacy issues
Dean C. Forbes
Dean Forbes is an accomplished global privacy and compliance adviser and has experience in the areas of privacy strategy, data governance and use, and consumer protection
Chad Blackman is a British trained International Trade Law Specialist and is Senior Partner/ International Trade Advisor at Global Partners International (GPI) where he is the firm’s lead on the General Data Protection Regulation
Jan Remy, Ph.D.
Dr. Jan Remy is an international trade lawyer who, over the course of her fifteen year career, has advised governments and private stakeholders on international trade matters, with a focus on dispute settlement under the auspices of the World Trade Organization (WTO)
Shiva is a Digital Financial Services Consultant based in Trinidad and Tobago, Managing Director, Pinaka Consulting Ltd
Bartlett is an associate with Lex Caribbean, a leading law firm practising the laws of multiple jurisdictions in the Caribbean